SAFETY IN GAS CUTTING AND WELDING
SAFETY IN GAS CUTTING
- Maroon in color.
- Acetylene gas (C2H2) is dissolved in acetone (liquid) and stored at 250 psi, in a specially designed cylinder.
- Acetylene cylinders have a volume of 8.5 m3.
Acetylene cylinder pressure between 17.5767 Kg/cm2(250 PSI) to 13.3583 kg/cm2 (190 PSI)
Acetylene working pressure 10PSI (0.70307 kg/cm2) (Do not exceed 15 psi)
CLICK HERE FOR > JSA
CLICK HERE FOR > HIRA
CLICK HERE FOR > SAFETY PLAN
CLICK HERE FOR > MONSOON SAFETY PLAN
CLICK HERE FOR > COVID-19 SAFETY PLAN
- Oxygen is a colorless, tasteless, and odorless gas and is slightly heavier than air.
- The oxygen cylinder is black in color.
- Oxygen stored at 2200 psi.
- Oxygen cylinders have a volume of 6.9 m3.
A standard oxygen cylinder pressure between 154.6753 kg/cm2(2200 PSI) to 77.33765 kg/cm2 (1100 PSI)
Oxygen working pressure 20 PSI (1.40614 kg/cm2) to 25 PSI(1.75767kg/cm2)
- Well ventilated room.
- No open flame in the store.
- 10 m distance from oxygen and acetylene cylinders.
- No materials that are prone to spontaneous combustion.
- Should not be stored in direct sunlight.
Flashback safety in gas cutting
UNLOADING FROM TRUCK:-
- Never drop.
- Use wooden Ramp and coir matters (50cm thick).
- Keep the top of the cylinder up.
- Roll the cylinder keeping it upright.
Lifting cylinders by crane:-
- Use of cradle.
- 4-leg bridle sling.
- D-shackle and lifting lug.
Use of Cylinder trolley:-
- Shifting cylinders at the site.
- Avoid Rolling & Manual carrying.
- Use trolley.
- Keep the cylinder upright and away from hot jobs.
- Fix the DA and oxygen regulator to the respective cylinders after ensuring free from dirt or grease.
- Connect the cutting hoses to the regulators and cutogen with hose clamps. Blue or black hoses for oxygen and red for DA.
- Open the cylinder and check for leakage by soap water test at the joints. The same to be followed for the oxygen cylinder. Close the cylinders.
- Purge the oxygen line and then the DA line one after the other and close the valves.
- Open the DA regulator, the torch valve and light the gas. Then open the oxygen valves to the required pressure.
- After cutting start closing from oxygen and then DA.
HAZARDS IN GAS CUTTING:-
A FIRE ON CYLINDER:-
- try to put out the fire.
- close the valve if it gets put out.
- otherwise, inform fire dept. and keep on cooling the cylinder with water.
- never pour water on hot.
- Fire on the cylinder (pouring water on the hot cylinder).
- Cylinder exposed to external heat.
- Rough handling.
PPE FOR SAFETY IN GAS CUTTING AND WELDING
- Helmets with face shields.
- Black glass – din value 4 to 5.
- Leather gloves.
- Leather Apron.
- Safety shoes.
SAFETY IN WELDING:-
- The body of the welding machine should be earth.
- The terminals of the welding cables should be provided with lugs and kept tight.
- The joints in the cables should be made with terminals, kept tight, and well insulated with heat-resistant tape.
- The cable should be free from joints at least for a length of three meters from the electrode holder to avoid shock hazards.
- Other electrical cables should not be kept laid with welding cables, to avoid insulation damage.
- For the return lead, the only proper cable should be used. Using rods, angles, channels, etc. Should be avoided.
- Never change electrode with bare hands or wet gloves, when standing on wet floors.
- Health hazards
- Exposure to various toxic gases generated during welding may produce one or more of the following effects:
- Inflammation of the lungs (chemical pneumonitis)
- Pulmonary edema (swelling and accumulation of fluids)
- Chronic bronchitis.
- Elimination or substitution.
- Modification of the processor engineering.
- Local exhaust ventilation.
- General dilution ventilation.
- Personal protective equipment,
Personal Protective Equipment:-
- FACE SHIELD WITH ATTACHED HELMET
- GOGGLES, FACE-SHIELD.
- DIN VALUE OF BLACK GLASS 12 to 14.
- LEATHER HAND GLOVES (FLAME RESISTANT)
- LEATHER APRON & LEG GUARD.
- SAFETY SHOE.
HAZARDS AT SITE:-
- Working overhead.
- Working in confined spaces.
- Welding or cutting tanks or vessels.
- Tripping hazards.
Can LPG use in the place of DA.
Amazing Article. I’m highly impressed by your article and this is very helpful for me.
I am requesting you to share colour code for cylinder and Hose pipe in gas cutting set and welding set.