Sad news ?
Today (06-02-2020) a major accident occurred at the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) under-construction power plant located in Tandwa Block of Chatra district in Jharkhand. Two laborers were killed in this, while three others were injured. The injured have been referred to Medanta Hospital in Ranchi for better treatment.
According to the information, one beam at about 4 tons was hanged and temporarily placed by chain block for a long time at 40 Metre. When the worker was going to do the job on that beam and received jerked on beam and fallen from 40M to zero meters by the failure of the chain block. Three laborers died after being buried under it. The deceased have been identified as Arjun Kumar Yadav of Chandni village under the Hussainabad block of Palamu district and Babulal Chaudhary of Kariadih village under Kharondhi block of Garhwa district.
In this accident, Deepak Kumar of Jharpo village of Ichak block of Hazaribagh district and Surendra Chaudhary and Ramanuj Ravi of Hussainabad Japla in Palamu district were injured. The condition of one of them is critical. He has been referred to Medanta Hospital in the capital Ranchi.
Root causes of the accident:
In the present scenario.
According to the information, one beam at about 4 tons was hanged and temporarily placed by chain block for a long time at 40 Metre. When the worker was going to do the job on that beam and received jerked on beam and fallen from 40M to ground level.
- Failure of the chain pulley block.
- Poor supervision.
- Not following erection safety procedures.
- Ground barricading missing.
Lesson learnt / recommendation:
- Do not hang the suspended load for a long time.
- Do not allow workers to do the job on suspended load without any extra fall protection.
- Always ensure the worker’s safety harness anchored in fixed support instead of the suspended load.
- All lifting tools and tackles must be checked before start the lifting job.
- All lifting tools and tackles periodically inspected and certified by a competent person, as per factory act 1948 sec. 29.
- Follow standard safety procedures for rigging and erection jobs.
- Always prepared HIRAC (Hazard identification risk assessment and control) before starting the job and hazard, riks and control measures must be discussed with all team members.
- Proper supervision by well experienced and qualified supervisor.
- Only trained and experienced workers allow for critical activity.
- Suspended load area must be barricaded with a signboard for unauthorized entry.
NOTE: Preventive actions not limited to the actions mentioned by RLS HUMAN CARE.
CLICK HERE FOR ? 24 Safety checks to perform before putting your crane in operation
CLICK HERE FOR ? Operating cranes Safety
CLICK HERE FOR ? Safety in erection and rigging operations