Description of excavation near-miss:
Excavation of OWS (Oily Water sewer) trial pit near transformer in TPS beside Substation was under progress using JCB. During excavation, the JCB bucket teeth got in contact with underground high voltage cables and spark developed. It resulted in the tripping of the PPC panel of Substation. This resulted in no injury but there was a high potential for electrocution.
Root Causes of near-miss:
- Cable markers were not provided.
- No permit has been taken for the activity.
- Trial excavation has been carried out by JCB.
- Without supervision work carryout.
CLICK HERE FOR ? SCAFFOLDING RELATED NEAR-MISS
CLICK HERE FOR ? NEAR-MISS WORK AT HEIGHT
- Follow Permit to work system.
- Cable marker to be provided/laid by the client.
- Manual excavation shall be done in case of the trial pit.
- Before starting job-specific testing/inspection for underground cable/utilities.
- Vigilant supervision.
- The activity shall be performed after implementing the mitigation measures as per HIRAC.
- Production manager instructions shall be followed.
- Tool-Box Talk shall be given by the production manager about the hazards and control measures in the activity.
CLICK HERE FOR ? EXCAVATION SAFETY