Lock out and Tag out in safety
Lock out and tag out are generally practice indicating warning that equipment or machine so locket or tagged out, shall not be used till that lock or notice removed.
Lock out means meaning the equipment flash machine inoperative or power isolated so the it can not be started or used, Lock, label or notice of lock out indicates that this equipment or machine is in faulty, under repair or maintenance and is locket for the purpose of not using, it till this lock or notice exists.
Tag out means to tie a tag in the equipment or machine to indicate that it is under repair or maintenance and not to be touched or used. Tag out is most essential when lock out is not possible. It can be used in addition to lock out for further precaution.
Lockout and Tag Out procedure is also required to prevent accident from unaccepted starting or operation of any switch, starter, motor, equipment etc. When some repair or maintenance is to be started on electric line or some vessels, pipe line etc, Source of supply of power, energy, flow etc, needs to be isolated and for this purpose, such switch, lever, valve, control move etc. Should be kept in locked off position. By positive locking and tagging indicating instrument not to open the lock and operate this switch, valve etc.
When more than one department wants lock out of the same switch, valve, equipment etc. Each of them should apply the air Owen lock and tagging. In such master keying should be available in. In case of difficulty, lock may be broken down but no duplicate key should be available.
Procedure Of Lock or Should be established:
- Before locking and tagging inform the concern of traders and user that line, switch, valve or equipment will be isolated or de-energized and give them time to complete and stop their work.
- Plan the shutdown and make the system of
- Insert lock and attach tagging
- Test that the isolation is positive and as per expectation
- When repair, slash maintenance work is over open the locking & tagging
- Again inform the concern people that locking/tagging is remove and they can work as usual
What are the harmful effects of hazardous energy?
Workers servicing or maintaining machines or equipment may be seriously injured or killed if hazardous energy is not properly controlled. Injuries resulting from the failure to control hazardous energy during maintenance activities can be serious or fatal! Injuries may include electrocution, burns, crushing, cutting, lacerating, amputating, or fracturing body parts, and others.
- A steam valve is automatically turned on burning workers who are repairing a downstream connection in the piping.
- Internal wiring on a piece of factory equipment electrically shorts, shocking worker who is repairing the equipment.
- A jammed conveyor system suddenly releases, crushing a worker who is trying to clear the jam.
Craft workers, electricians, machine operators, and laborers are among the 3 million workers who service equipment routinely and face the greatest risk of injury. Workers injured on the job from exposure to hazardous energy lose an average of 24 workdays for recuperation.
What is hazardous energy?
Energy sources including electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, chemical, thermal, or other sources in machines and equipment can be hazardous to workers. During the servicing and maintenance of machines and equipment, the unexpected startup or release of stored energy can result in serious injury or death to workers.