Hazards in Core shop
|Manual material handling hazards.||1. Train the employees in safe method of manual material handling.
2. Provide appropriate P.P.E.
3. Maintain good housekeeping.
4. Proper supervision.
|Flying particle hazard while cleaning the cores, core boxes etc.||1. Provide safety goggles.
2. Wherever possible, suck the dirt instead of blowing.
|Heat hazard while working near the core oven.||1. Provide proper exhaust system.
2. Provide good ventilation.
|Allergy due to resins, linseed oil for some people.||1. Provide appropriate hand gloves and other PPEs.|
|Noise hazard from core shooters, blowers & from surrounding area.||1. Where ever possible isolate the noise producing process.
2. Provide ear protection.
3. Pre employment medical examination.
4. Periodical medical examination.
|Burn injury due to contact hot cores.||1. Prepare safe operating procedure.
2. Provide appropriate PPEs
Hazard in Pouring section
|Smoke & gases generated due to burning of organic material during pouring.||1. Where ever possible provide hood & exhaust system.
2. Ventilate the area adequately.
3. Provide appropriate PPEs.
4. Ignite the gases coming out of moulds.
|Burn injury from liquid metal if it leaks from the mould.||1. Ensure proper tightening of the nut bolts & clamps.
2. Seal the moulds with appropriate clay whenever necessary.
|Exposure to U.V. & I.R. rays.||1. Provide appropriate P.P.E.|
|Radiant heat during pouring.||1. Provide appropriate P.P.E.|
Personal protective equipment for pouring operation:
- Dark glasses for eye protection.
- Thick cotton boiler suit.
- Safety boots.
- Leg guard. (Leather)
- Leather hand gloves.
- Leather apron.
Health hazards in foundry:
- Heat stress.
- Silicosis. (Starting stage of lungs cancer)
- Smoke and other gases cause respiratory diseases.
- Renault’s syndrome.
- Skin allergy from various chemicals and resins.